Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Farmer Isaac




When I embarked on my Square Foot Gardening project, I thought that the main benefit would be getting some fresh vegetables. I had no idea how much joy it would bring Isaac. He has really been passionate about his garden! He goes out every morning before breakfast to check on his plants. He has taken over the watering of the plants, which has been crucial during this 90 degree weather. He has "harvested" three cucumbers this week, and he declared them the best cucumbers he has ever eaten (we agreed of course!). He has already made plans to expand his garden next year. I think that he is a farmer at heart!
I started our project, being totally "organic". Nothing was growing well. My parents came to visit in June and Dad told me to go buy some Miracle Grow. I hesitated for a few seconds and then bought some. I can see how it got its name. Our cucumbers, zucchini, peppers and tomatoes seemed to grow over night. I have picked about seven zucchini, and a couple of tomatoes and peppers. The tomatoes and cucumbers look like they will really start producing in the next couple of weeks. We have picked a few beans, but I think that we will have to plant quite a few more plants next year if we ever want to really have a "mess of bean!" The carrots did not do much. Isaac planted some more carrot seeds in a container this morning, so we will see how that experiment turns out.
Bailey's flowers have really done well. All in all, it has really been a great experience, even if it has not provided "food for the winter". I am looking forward to doing it again next year!

No comments: