Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Saying Good-Bye/Saying Hello

It seems like the last couple of weeks have been full of Baton Rouge lasts - Isaac and Bailey's last music practices, Anna Grace and Olivia's last day of Mother's Day Out, our last Wednesday night at church, etc. Isaac has been especially sensitive to these lasts. I have been so busy getting us ready to move, that I have not allowed myself to put a lot of thought into these occasions. In many ways our move has not seemed real to me -- I have been on auto pilot.

We had an overwhelming going away party from our church family. We were really touched by the people who came to tell us good-bye. It was a very memorable occasion! I shed quite a few tears at the loving words spoken to us by people that we hold dear to our hearts.

We have not officially left Baton Rouge yet. We are going to go down in two weeks and oversee the packing and loading of our stuff and officially move. Despite the fact we have not officially left, our firsts have already begun. Ironically, the firsts have seemed to affect me much more than the lasts. We had our first day visiting a new church on Sunday, and I was a mess on the inside. Isaac and Bailey were apprehensive, and I was right there with them. It was not that I was nervous about meeting new people, that does not typically bother me. It was more of the loneliness that comes with walking into a church where I know nobody, when I am used to walking in and knowing almost everyone. I was on the verge of tears most of the time, but I managed not to "lose it". The children's program was great, and the children felt very welcomed. That went a long way towards calming this mama's heart! One of Mark's old roommates and his family attends the church, and we went to lunch with them. That helped us to feel a little more at home.

I think that our first Sunday at a new church made our move seem much more real. It made me sorely miss my friends that I am used to visiting with at church. After church, I told Mark that I did not want to make new friends, I love the ones I have! I am praying that God will make us feel at home in Alabama. I am also going to pray that God will help me to be sensitive to others who are walking into church for the first time. It can be a very lonely time!

No comments: