Sunday, January 27, 2008

Contentment

A few weeks ago, I reached a turning point in my attitude about our new life here in Alabama. I had been feeling lonely and a bit discontent, and I was spending quite a bit of time thinking about those feelings. I knew we had made a good decision in moving here, but I kept comparing everything new with what I was used to in Louisiana. One day, I was thinking about these things, and I realized that I really needed to let them go and turn them over to the Lord. I needed to choose to be content with my current situation, and trust God to give me what I needed. The following Sunday, the sermon mentioned something similar, and our Bible class started a new series on contentment. What a coincidence!?!

The following Wednesday night, the Ladies Bible Class I attended studied 1 Samuel 16. The chapter begins with a conversation between the Lord and Samuel. God tells Samuel to stop mourning for Saul, because his time of being king was coming to an end. God had chosen a new king, and he wanted Samuel to move on and anoint David. Samuel was afraid, but God provided what he needed. This passage really convicted me that I had been looking so much to the past, that I could not see the future. It was ok for me to miss my friends and our church, but I needed to watch and see what new things that God was ready to do in my life. I made a decision to be content right where I was, and to stop comparing everything with my "Louisiana Life."

It is amazing what a difference that simple choice made in me. I have felt so much more peace. I have started to really enjoy our new church and make friends there. I have started to be fed spiritually more than I have in a long time. I still miss my wonderful Louisiana friends and I always will, but that is not consuming my thoughts. God has blessed me with peace and contentment, and I am so thankful. I need to remember this lesson, because I am sure that I will need to learn it again!

1 comment:

saura "il filo folle" said...

Ciao anche io ho 4 bimbi Patrick 10 Rebecca e Cassandra 8 e poi Dorian 3.Noi viviamo in Italia e voi? puoi conoscermi sul mio blog
Ilfilofolle.blogspot.com