Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Our Field Trip to St. Louis

Five Families and Seventeen Children!
A great sign for these two wild men!
My Love and Me!

 Bailey, Olivia and three of their friends!
 Eli at the City Museum
 Part of the Johnson Crew at 630 feet
The view from the top!
Our Crew-- Eli is hiding behind me!

For the last three years, we have taken a big "homeschool field trip" with several other families.  The first year, we traveled to Houston and visited the Space Center and the beach.  The next year, we headed to Kansas City and spent a couple of days at Great Wolf Lodge and shopped at the American Girl Store (not our most educational trip!).  


This year, we decided to explore St. Louis for a long weekend.  Our itinerary included Grant's Farm, The St. Louis Zoo, The City Museum, and the Arch.  We also threw in a bunch of eating and swimming in the hotel pool.


We spent our first day at Grant's Farm and the zoo, with a picnic lunch thrown in the middle.  Both activities were free, except for parking, and they were a lot of fun!  The girls in the group enjoyed seeing the Clydesdale horses, and we all enjoyed looking at the animals and spending time with our friends.


The City Museum was heaven for kids, and a nightmare for mammas!  There were slides and stairs leading in every direction, and a LOT of people!  I asked for a map and was told that not having a map was part of the fun.  The kids had a blast, and I was happy to leave.  If we do it again, we will wait until my littlest one is quite a bit older!


We enjoyed our visit to the arch.  Mark took three of the children to the top, and I stayed below with Olivia and Eli.  We had studied Lewis and Clark last year, and it was neat to visit the museum under the arch.


Eli became fully potty trained right before we left home.  He had picked up the great habit of "pee-peeing in the grass" whenever he could.  I had been very patient with him in this area, because I was just thankful that number five was finally potty trained.  We were standing under the arch, in the beautiful grassy area.  I looked down to see Eli making his own little arch in front of lots of people.  I also saw my sweet husband running the other way.  That memory will probably be the first thing I think of whenever I see the arch! 


St. Louis was a great place to visit.  I am thankful for traveling friends!

No comments: