Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hair


It is amazing how much time, effort and money is put into hair! People all over the world have an opinion on what makes hair look good. People all over my house have opinions on this very same topic! This week, the girls have been into having their hair braided (started by last weekend's prairie party). Anna Grace brushes and brushes her hair trying to make it straight. Olivia likes wearing hers in a ball on top of her head. Bailey has started fixing her hair by herself. And on and on.


Recently, Isaac has started to have an opinion about his hair. I guess it is a sign that he is growing up (or maybe he is just trying to drive me crazy...). He inherited his mom's curly hair, and it is bugging him (I feel his pain). He has decided that he wants to grow his hair out, especially on top. He has visions of flipping his bangs over to the side. Isaac is a pretty compliant guy, so I have been trying to give him his independence. I did finally put my foot down and took him to get a trim yesterday. Our hairdresser, Tyler, is a great guy, so I thought that he would be good to listen to what Isaac says and still give him a good haircut. After Isaac was in the chair, I remembered the fact that Tyler has long hair, and that he might side with Isaac on this one. He did trim him up on the sides and in the back. He then did something that thrilled Isaac's heart. He pulled out a flat iron. Isaac came out with straight bangs on top. He said, "This is my hair dream come true!" I suspect that I am going to have a hard time getting Isaac in the shower!
It reminds me of my favorite line from Charlotte's Web. Fern's mom had gone to see the family doctor because she was worried that Fern was spending too much time with the animals and claimed that they talked to her. The doctor wisely said, "There is a name for this. It is a childhood phase, and sadly, it passes all too quickly."

No comments: