Monday, February 13, 2012

Soup Night!

I have been attempting to include at least one soup night on my menu each week. Soups are some of the most frugal meals that I cook. I can stretch a little bit of meat to feed all seven of us, and I can use up a few leftovers in the process. I have been getting a bit bored with soup, so I decided to try to "spice" things up a bit.

Last week I made bread bowls for the first time. I used this recipe with fresh ground whole wheat flour, and Mark and the kids really liked them. That is not too suprising, since none of us have met too many carbs that we do not like! The bowls did make soup night a little more exciting.

The week before, I made some homemade croutons. I usually have a few pieces of bread at the end of a loaf that do not get eaten before they are past being fresh. I decided to cut them up and keep them in a bag in the freezer. The bag was getting pretty full, so I melted some butter and poured it in the bag with some garlic and shook it around. Garlic and butter make most everything taste better! I baked the bread pieces until they were crunchy. We called them croutons and ate them on our soup. The kids were impressed, and I did not feel guilty for throwing bread away. Soup night has at least been a little more interesting around here lately!

No comments: