Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Learning how to win and lose

Isaac and I played a game called Math War today. It is the same concept as the traditional game of War that you can play with any deck of cards. Each player turns over a card and the one with the highest number wins. The Math War deck of cards has addition and subtraction problems on them, so each player has to solve their math problem, and whoever has the highest answer wins. The game is designed to help children (and maybe their mommies) practice math facts. It soon became obvious, that Isaac was enjoying the game as long as he had the most cards. As soon as it looked like I might be gaining some ground, the game was suddenly not so fun anymore. I understand where Isaac is coming from. It is always more fun when you are winning, whether you are a child or an adult. It did make me wonder, though, if there is any way to help children learn to be good winners and good losers. I need to do some thinking and praying about it. I think that if there is any way to help my children learn those skills, it would be a great victory (an even better one than learning math facts)!

No comments: