Friday, June 21, 2013

Blueberry Picking!




I love going blueberry picking!  Blueberries are healthy, but expensive!  We have lots of people living at our house, so we can go through a $3 pint of blueberries in minutes (we should enter a contest or something...).  So, blueberries are a rare treat. 

I heard about a blueberry farm a little less than an hour away, and since blueberry picking is on our summer bucket list, I decided we should go.  It has gotten really hot, so I wanted to get an early start. I promised a trip to the value menu at McDonald's to anyone who got up without complaining.  Food is a powerful motivator around here, so we were out of the house by a few minutes after six.
I managed to miss a turn, so we got a little lost (like 16 miles out of the way lost).  I was really frustrated, but then I spotted a Daylight Donuts sign.  After a brief stop, we were all a lot happier!
  
DONUTS SAVED THE DAY!

We had never been to this farm before, so I was not sure what to expect.  It was great!  The children got a tour of the chicken coop and met a few newborn chicks (I actually managed to set aside my blueberry picking obsession for a few minutes to allow time for the tour).  The children were great pickers, and we ended up with four and a half heaping gallons.  I weighed them when I got home, and I ended up paying a little over $1.50 a pound.  Even more importantly, we had fun and crossed another thing off our bucket list!



  "Look Mom, I have picked thousands!" --Eli





Notice the new canine friend we made at the farm!



Happy Day!


No comments: