Thursday, June 27, 2013

Stopping to Feed the Ducks

I have been trying to "stop and smell the roses" more with my children this summer.  I often get caught up in my agenda and forget to take the time to enjoy simple pleasures with my five blessings.  

Mark has been out of town this week and Isaac really wanted to go to youth group on Wednesday night.  I was dreading making the trip back into town (that sounds like something out of Little House on the Prairie, doesn't it?).  I decided to try to change my attitude and make that time into a family adventure.  I threw some bread and water bottles (because it was about 140 degrees outside) into the Suburban and we headed to the local college.

Eli is almost five years old, and he had never fed ducks.  I guess that is part of being the 5th child.  Isaac had fed every duck in Baton Rouge by the time he was 5 -- I guess we got a bit burned out!  When we visited the duck pond the other day, I had promised Eli we would come back and feed the poor, overstuffed ducks very soon.  Last night seemed like the perfect time to keep my promise.

All four children loved the ducks!  After the bread was gone, we walked around the pond and headed out to explore the college a bit.  We walked around a log cabin and then found swings and a climbing wall.  It was quite an adventure!

We ended the night with 50 cent cones from Burger King.  I really enjoyed just listening to the children and watching them have fun.  I want to take the time to stop and smell the roses feed the ducks more often!


















No comments: