Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Grandma, Mamaw, Nanna, Grandpa???

The "What am I going to be called?" process started right after Mark and I were married. Someone asked my dad what Mark was going to call him (Bob, Mr. Jones, etc.). My dad responded, "Grandpa." A year and a half later, when Isaac was born, the grandparents began choosing names. Mom wanted to be called Nanna. Mark's mom chose Mamaw, like her mother. Mark's dad chose Grandpa (Pa for short). He said Papaw sounded too much like a fruit. My dad said Isaac would choose what he would be called. Somehow, Isaac started calling him Grand-Bob, and the name stuck. Anna Grace is currently calling him "B-Bob." My children called my grandfather, "Great" (short for Great-Granpa).

When I was learning to talk, my Granny was trying to teach me to say her name. She would break it into syllables and say, "Gran-Nee." I caught on to the second syllable, and she was called "Nee" for years.

A couple of years ago, Isaac started calling Mark's mom Grandma instead of Mamaw. Now she signs her cards Mamaw/Grandma!

No matter what they are called, grandparents are special people!

No comments: