Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I'm Feeling Old!

We are getting Bailey an American Girl Doll for her 7th birthday. It is quite a bit more than we usually spend on a birthday present, but I am really excited about getting it for her. She has been getting the catalog for a couple of years now, and she has saved every one. She pours over them during quiet time every day, and she has them all memorized! I asked her which one she wants, and she told me to surprise her. So now, I have been pouring over the website trying to pick out the perfect one for her. I have finally decided to go with Kirsten (Shh! Don't tell her!), because we are going to be reading the Little House books in school this year, and she looks like she would fit right in with Mary and Laura. I can not wait to give it to her!

One of the dolls in the Historical Collection, is Julie. She made me feel quite old since she is from the 1970s. Having been born in the '70s, it just does not seem that long ago! My favorite quote from the catalog is, "In Julie's day, lunch boxes were made of metal..." It is kind of funny that the clothes you can buy for the doll do not look all that different from the clothes people are wearing now. Styles do come back around!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I wanted one of those so badly when I was younger. I got the very first catalog ever, which was about twice as big as they are now. I never got them, but now Maya is poring over each catalog as it comes. I hope we are able to get her one in the next couple of years.