Thursday, July 5, 2007

A New Blue Cast

I spent the morning trying to figure out how to get Isaac seen by an orthepedic doctor. I started at 7:30 by calling our insurance company. It took me a while to get through the menu to talk to a "real" person. I finally got a nurse who told me to call back at 8:00. At 8:00, I talked to someone who told me that our insurance only covers urgent and emergency care outside of our home area. We had to call our PCP to get a referrel and to find out who to see. That meant I had to wait until 8:30 when our doctor's office opened. I called and left a message with the doctor's nurse, and began the waiting game. Mark called back again and got the ok to find a doctor on our own and then call back for the referrel. My mom had talked to a friend who is a pediatric nurse, and she recommended someone who was considered the best in the area. I then spent a total of about forty minutes on hold trying to get an appointment with the doctor. We finally decided to go to the doctor's office and try to get an appointment that way. When we got there at 10:00, they directed me to a phone in the lobby, where I called the same number I had tried earlier. I spent almost twenty more minutes waiting to talk to someone. I was finally able to talk to someone, who found out we were in the waiting room, and worked us in for 11:00. It turned out that it was well worth the wait. We were very impressed by Dr. Madigan.

We learned that Isaac actually broke his arm in two places in the elbow area. It did not have to be set, which was a wonderful blessing. The doctor prescribed three weeks in a cast, and three weeks in a swimming pool! He said that older people need physical therapy, and children need to get in the pool. He also said that older people with this type of break often do not regain full motion. Because of Isaac's age, he should have a full recovery. He said it is important that Isaac gets moving again as soon as possible. We were glad to hear that he should get back to playing the piano with both hands as soon as possible. It will be a bit awkward for him to play with the cast, but the finger movement is helpful. So, Isaac is sporting a new blue cast. We will see someone in Baton Rouge in three weeks. Hopefully he or she will take the cast off and Isaac can get to swimming!

No comments: