Saturday, July 14, 2007

Saturday Morning Happenings

I got back in the garage sale saddle today. It had been well over a month since I had been, and I was having withdrawal! I was not too impressed with the sales today, but I enjoyed looking. My first hit was a yard sale that was advertised to open at 6:00. They also said, "Early birds welcome, please knock!" I arrived a few minutes after 6:00. There was a groggy looking man standing out front. He came up to my van and said, "There is no sale, my 'friends' played a practical joke on me." When the "early birds" had knocked, he had answered the door in his boxers and demanded, "What do you want???" The "friends" had brought their camera and caught the whole thing on film. The victim did not seem to find it too funny! From there I went to about seven or eight other sales. I bought a $3.00 bike. I am hoping to be able to use the training wheels, and pass the bike on to someone else. I also bought a few flashlights (my salute to hurricane preparedness), a toy box for Olivia and Anna Grace's room and a couple of things to put back for Christmas.

I stopped by the bread store while I was out that way. The bread store is a great place! I can buy bread for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost, and I can also get cheap flour tortillas. I usually buy enough bread for a week or two, and put some in the freezer. Now it hurts to pay full price at the grocery store. I also had the added benefit of interesting conversation with the lady who works there. Today she was telling me how much she would like to move back to Knoxville, TN (I understand). She and her family had evacuated there after Katrina and had been really impressed by the beauty of the place and the friendliness of the people. She is hoping to move there in a couple of years. She went on to tell me how she thought that the entire Gulf Coast would soon be under water, and she wanted to move north. Interesting!

I popped into Winn Dixie and Albertsons to take advantage of some deals, and then finished up at Walmart. Thankfully, all three of these place are within a couple miles of my house. I really treasure my Saturday mornings "adventures". A big thanks to my wonderful husband for "holding down the fort" so that I can go!

No comments: